This is the 6th weekly edition of “Linux Nation” where I talk about the top stories of the week in the Linux/Unix section on Digg.com. I’ll be out of town for the next couple of days, so expect a huge update on Monday after spending a weekend with my brand new black Macbook that I’m getting tomorrow!
1. The Gutsy Gibbon is out!
I’m reminded of a scene in a pretty famous movie…
Yippee-ki-yay, motherfu(BANG)! -John McClane
2. Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Torrent RELEASED
3. Go to school on how to admin a server
Wow! After going through in detail, this website has TONS of very in depth articles on setting up all sorts of Linux servers. Very nice!
4. Linux vs. Patents : first round 🙁
Ahh… IP Innovation. Notice the singular innovation? I did. Apparently these patents go all the way back to Xerox Parc, and if you’ve ever seen the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley, you’ll know EXACTLY what this is about. It’s quite comedic. Apple settled with these folks awhile back, I wonder when Microsoft is being sued?
5. Red Hat sued for patent infringement!!
See #4. Goto your local library and pickup Pirates of Silicon Valley and watch it for free… you’ll understand.
6. Ten Funny Quotes By Linus Torvalds
Linus, Linus, Linus. You’re so passionate about the right things, good read.
7. Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Release Candidate
Apparently this week is going to be a Gutsy Gibbon marathon. See #1.
8. Linux Jeolousy: My Wife Switched to Ubuntu
Not only does she like Linux, she can do neat tricks with her tongue – watch! Just kidding.
9. Wine is Getting Good – there’s less and less need for Windows every day
Amen! By the way, check out my article on running the Orange Box in Wine, it’s seriously easy. I haven’t had any need for windows at all, other than my pesky iPhone… arrrg. I guess that’s what a laptop from work is for, right?
10. 13 reasons why Linux should be on your desktop
I like this quote from the article:
“Once the gloss wears off, it’s about applications” – Kim Brebach
11. PICTURES: Ubuntu gets gutsy, Screenshots
PICS PICS PICS!
12. Wired Review: Ubuntu’s New ‘Gutsy Gibbon’ Brings Linux Out of the Jungle
This is a really sweet article, I hope it makes it into print.
13.465 Free Fonts for Ubuntu
These aren’t really “free” as in speech, but they are “free” as in beer.
14. A Look at Ubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon” RC1
See #1… again. I have a fever, and the only cure is more Gutsy Gibbon!
15. 7 reasons why Ubuntu is so successful
Probably the biggest reason is the last one listed:
7) Fragmented competitors: When Ubuntu started it’s “march to glory” there were three “big” distributions, SuSE, Mandriva, and Fedora. Debian and Slackware were popular but were not very appealling to newbies (Debian still had a text based installer…). All of the “big three” were not at their best when Ubuntu came out and started gathering users. SuSE had recently been bought by Novell and was still undergoing internal reconstructions, Mandriva has in the middle of a severe financial crisis, and Fedora was just at FC2 which wasn’t nearly as easy as it now is. – Linux4Coffee
That’s pretty damn insightful. The rest of the article is a great read, have a look.
That’s it this week, enjoy Gutsy Gibbon without me!